Warranty Terms and Conditions
Covering vehicle engine parts for do-it-yourself and installed customers by SOPUS Products.
SOPUS Products warrants you, the vehicle owner or lessee whose name appears on the front of this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty document ("you"), that it will repair or replace, at its option and at its expense, the engine parts listed below, that fail on account of engine wear or which experience abnormal wear, because Shell Rotella® heavy-duty diesel engine oil failed to provide proper lubrication. The Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty includes all the terms listed below. This Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty is free. This Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty is available to customers who change their own oil or have their oil changed by an installer, truck service center, commercial fast oil change facility, or truck dealer and who use Shell Rotella® motor oil. SOPUS Products reserves the right at any time and from time to time, without notice, to revise and/or terminate the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty. In the event the warranty program is modified, the modifications will apply to and be binding on all new participants as of the date of the modifications.
THIS SHELL ROTELLA® LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, AND THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS AND NONE SHALL BE IMPLIED. ALL WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED TO THE TERMS AND DURATION OF THIS EXPRESS WARRANTY. SOPUS PRODUCTS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OR FAILURE OF THIS PRODUCT, HOWEVER CAUSED. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED LIMITED WARRANTY LASTS, OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS SHELL ROTELLA® LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. THIS SHELL ROTELLA® LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER'S LIMITED WARRANTY.
- How Long Does the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty Last:
It takes effect six (6) months after your first purchase of eligible Shell Rotella® heavy-duty diesel engine oil. As long as you comply with your obligations of this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty, your vehicle's Listed Engine Parts (defined below) will be covered against lubrication-caused failure from the time you were eligible for this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty program as follows:
- Up to 10 years or 500,000 miles (whichever is first) – if you exclusively use Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic engine oil.
- Up to 10 years or 300,000 miles (whichever is first) – if you exclusively use Shell Rotella® T Triple Protection® 15W-40 or Shell Rotella® T5 Synthetic Blend 10W-30, 10W-40 engine oils. 10 year / 300,000 miles begins at vehicle manufacture date.
Please note the following:
- You may change your level of warranty protection at any time as long as your vehicle is within 50,000 miles and within 24 months old.
- Once your vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is more than 24 months old, you may only change from 10 years/500,000 miles warranty protection to 10 years/300,000 miles warranty protection. The change becomes effective as soon as you stop using Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic engine oil and start using either Shell Rotella® T Triple Protection or Shell Rotella® T5 Synthetic Blend engine oil products. This change cannot be reversed.
- Product names may change or a product may be substituted or discontinued without notice at SOPUS Products' sole discretion.
- Vehicles used, registered or leased for off-road, agricultural or competition purposes do not qualify for the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty.
- What Engine Parts Are Covered ("Listed Engine Parts"):
- Cylinder Lining or Bore
- Pistons and Piston Rings
- Engine Connecting Rods and Rod Bearings
- Cam Shaft and Bearings
- Crankshaft and Bearings
- Rocker Arms and Pivots
- Lube Pump Assembly
- Gear Train Gears
- Wrist Pins and Bushings
- Valve Lifter
- What You Do as Part of the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty Program:
- Enroll online at www.rotellawarranty.com. (Except California and Michigan residents.)
- Service your vehicle's engine with an eligible Shell Rotella® heavy-duty diesel engine oil, in the service classification and viscosity grade that is appropriate for your vehicle as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.
- SOPUS Products requires you to change your vehicle's oil and oil filter at least as often as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
- Replace your vehicle's air filter and air cleaner element at least as often as your vehicle manufacturer recommends, and maintain your vehicle's emission control system in accordance with your vehicle manufacturer's recommendations.
- Follow all scheduled engine maintenance recommendations by the vehicle manufacturer.
- Update your oil change records online at least once every twelve (12) months, even if no oil change has taken place, on the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty website so you can maintain your coverage (except California and Michigan residents).
- FOR CALIFORNIA AND MICHIGAN RESIDENTS:
UNDER CALIFORNIA AND MICHIGAN LAW, THIS IS A PRODUCT REGISTRATION. CALIFORNIA AND MICHIGAN RESIDENTS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO REGISTER THEIR PRODUCTS TO MAKE THEIR WARRANTY EFFECTIVE. CALIFORNIA AND MICHIGAN RESIDENTS MUST COMPLY WITH ALL OTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE SHELL ROTELLA® LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY.
- If you have your oil professionally changed and your vehicle's engine and emission control system professionally serviced by a heavy duty installer, truck dealer, truck stop, automotive center, commercial fast oil change facility, gasoline service station, or auto dealer, save all of your receipts.
- If you change your own oil, you must save all your receipts from a merchant or retailer showing your required Shell Rotella® oil and filter purchases, as well as your receipts for having your engine and emission control system serviced.
- Keep these receipts in a safe place.
- If you have a claim, you must be able to show SOPUS Products that you used Shell Rotella® engine oil, and satisfy all other requirements, before you will be eligible for reimbursement under this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty.
- To ensure you do not forget to update your records online, at your request, we will send you up to three reminders within the two months prior to the deadline via the e-mail account you used to set up your account on the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty website. If you do not update your records, your account will be inactivated and you will no longer be covered under the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty program. To reactivate the account, you will have to re-register and follow the program terms and conditions.
- FOR CALIFORNIA AND MICHIGAN RESIDENTS:
- Enroll online at www.rotellawarranty.com. (Except California and Michigan residents.)
- What Else Is Important (including Eligibility and Exclusions):
- The Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty is valid for vehicles that are registered to operate in the U.S. fifty (50) states and District of Columbia (DC) only.
- Vehicles must be registered prior to 50,000 miles and 24 months of vehicle manufacture date.
- SOPUS Products will consider your claim for payment if you show that you complied with all of the terms and conditions of this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty, unless SOPUS Products can show in good faith that one or more excluded conditions set forth below caused your claimed damage(s).
- This Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty only covers Class 2 – Class 8 vehicles with heavy-duty diesel engines used in on-road applications with a gross vehicular weight of 80,000 pounds or less that you own or lease, and which have been driven 50,000 miles or less when you first used an eligible Shell Rotella® engine oil and whose manufactured date is within the last 24 months of your first use of an eligible Shell Rotella® engine oil ("Eligible Vehicle"). If the Eligible Vehicle is leased, it may be covered, but only if you are an individual, or a Business Entity, and are primarily obligated for repairs and maintenance.
- This Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty is transferable. You can transfer this Lubrication Limited Warranty before your vehicle has been driven 75,000 miles, but only if the person you transfer it to has copies of your receipts or can prove your compliance with the terms of the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty. You must start the transfer process via the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty website. For more details, contact Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty headquarters at 1-866-321-3491.
Note: For California and Michigan residents who have not registered online, you must be able to show proof that the transfer took place within the mileage requirements and compliance with the other terms of the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty.
- This Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty does not cover vehicles modified for, or used in competitive events, or which are subject to abnormal driving conditions.
- This Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty does not cover claims that result from (1) pre-existing conditions (which may be verified through an oil spectrochemical analysis, at SOPUS Products' discretion), (2) collision, negligence or intentional abuse, (3) improper service or maintenance, (4) defect in manufacture or Listed Engine Parts, or caused by parts that are not Listed Engine Parts, (5) improper installation of any part, or (6) failure to maintain motor oil or engine coolant at levels prescribed by the manufacturer. This Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty also does not cover any consequential or incidental damages.
- If your repair claim is covered by the vehicle manufacturer's limited warranty or any extended service contract, you cannot collect again from SOPUS Products. However, if your extended service contract contains a deductible amount, SOPUS Products will pay your deductible amount if the extended service contract covers a claim also covered by this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty.
- PAYMENT OF CLAIMS IS LIMITED TO ONE (1) CLAIM FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT OF "QUALIFIED REPAIR EXPENSES" THAT YOU ACTUALLY PAY TO REPAIR COVERED DAMAGES. "Qualified Repair Expenses" are defined as (1) actual parts and labor expenses necessarily incurred to repair damaged "Listed Engine Parts" only, which shall be no more than the time to make repairs or to replace the "Listed Engine Parts" allocated by Chilton's Flat Rate Guide or other industry accepted flat rate guide times (x) the commercial repair shop's posted hourly rate, plus (+), if necessary, the reasonable cost of a replacement engine part of like kind and quality; and (2) expenses incurred within the warranty coverage duration as stated above. THE PAYMENT OF A CLAIM IS LIMITED TO THE LESSER OF $6,000.00 FOR CLASS 2-6 VEHICLES AND $10,000.00 FOR CLASS 7-8 VEHICLES OR THE ACTUAL CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE AS DETERMINED BY AN INDEPENDENT APPRAISER.
- You will void this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty if your application or other information submitted contains untrue information, or if your vehicle is not an Eligible Vehicle.
- The Rotella Lubrication Limited Warranty is only available to legal residents of the United States.
- The use of any aftermarket oil additive will void the warranty.
- What to Do If You Have A Claim:
- You must start a claim online via the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty website BEFORE you have any repairs made. If you have any questions, you may contact warranty headquarters by calling (toll free) 1-866-321-3491. Upon receiving authorization from the claims administrator, you may have repairs under the Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty made by the truck dealer from whom your vehicle was purchased or leased, or in the repair shop of your choice.
- Before repairs are made to your vehicle, you must provide the claims administrator with all of the following:
- A copy of your Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty (except if you're a California or Michigan resident) and all receipts showing oil changes or purchases using an eligible Shell Rotella® engine oil, with dates (receipts must be printed, not handwritten, and must clearly show an eligible Shell Rotella® engine oil was used as per the terms and conditions of the program);
- Copies of all other service and repair orders that will verify compliance with the terms of this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty;
- A copy of your lease agreement if the vehicle is leased;
- A copy of the current vehicle registration card;
- A complete statement of damage and repair costs;
- A sample of the motor oil and the damaged parts at the time of the claim, if requested by SOPUS Products.
- SOPUS Products may, at its discretion and at its own expense, conduct such further investigation as may be required to determine the cause of the claimed problem and your eligibility for reimbursement of the repair claims.
- If you have complied with the terms and conditions of this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty, SOPUS Products will approve the claim and make payment, as provided in this Shell Rotella® Lubrication Limited Warranty, after the repairs are completed.